This has been one hell of a year so far.
The world is at the mercy of a fierce virus, the United States is in the hands of a problematic government, racism is still rampant, but now the world doesn’t want to take it anymore. And, since March, the world has mostly been at home with all the time needed to think about a new normal where maybe we get to start again and behave better.
My challenge to you is this: write something under 500 words that is somehow inspired by your experiences or even imagined experiences of this quarantine. Flash, Poetry, CNF, whatever you feel like. Your entry would fall under one of three categories.
- Journal entry — investigative style
- Diary entry — personal style
- Captain’s Log entry
And now the twist!
Given that our current normal includes trying to maintain relationships from a distance, I’d like to include a video component. Please make a short video of yourself reading this piece. Dazzle us. Have fun with it.
Your deadline is August 31st at 11:59 p.m. EDT
All winning pieces will be published in The Blake-Jones Review‘s online magazine and promoted through social media channels including YouTube.
About you and your piece(s)
Please be sure to read through the following guidelines with care. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about the contest process.
- You can be from anywhere, but your entries must be written in English.
- Please submit your own, unpublished work. Publication includes public social media channels and your own blog or website.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please let us know if a piece is accepted elsewhere for publication. Unfortunately, we are unable refund your entrance fee.
- Your piece must be less than 500 words not including the title.
- Please double-space your document and use a legible font. Save your document as a Word (.doc, .docx) or PDF.
- Your filename should match the title of your piece.
- Please upload your video to your own cloud space of any kind and provide a link to DOWNLOAD the file.
Thank you for understanding that running a contest comes with costs. We will only ever charge for contest entries, not regular submissions.
- Contest entry is $5/piece.
- Payment is through PayPal only, but you do not need a PayPal account to enter. If you do not have a PayPal account, and do not want to create one, you can checkout as a guest using your credit card.
- Entries are non-refundable even if you withdraw a piece.
- Please use the form in the sidebar to begin your entry. You’ll be taken to PayPal to make your payment and then returned to the entry form.
- Make a note of your transaction number so you can add it to your submission form.